Accurate Medication History - We all Contribute!
|OnDemand Webinar||$219||Add to Cart|
Since 1999 with the publication of To Err is Human, health care has wrestled with providing safer patient care in our hospitals. One the most prominent causes of patient harm continues to be medication error. As healthcare providers we have the obligation to do our utmost to prevent any harm related to a misadventure with medications. One study demonstrated that the medication history done poorly can lead to as much as 30% of the errors.
This OnDemand Webinar will first describe the potential reasons that medication history is such a difficult task to undertake accurately. The program will then move on to explore the components of obtaining an accurate medication history with practical advice for improvement. Topics for discussion include interpersonal techniques for history taking as well as information system solutions. The goal of this program is to improve your organizations medication history and reconciliation processes and thus reduce the incidence of medication errors.
- You will be able to describe the potential reasons that accurate medication history is such a difficult task.
- You will be able to explore the components of obtaining an accurate medication history.
- You will be able to identify information system solutions to assist in maintaining an accurate medication history.
- You will be able to discuss interpersonal techniques for history taking.
AuthorsKaren Hollingsworth, RN, MS, CPHIMS, Santa Rosa Consulting
Components of the Problem
• The People Involved
• Information Technology System Issues
• Medication Reconciliation
Components of the Medication History
• Past and Current Prescription Medications
• Allergies, Sensitivities, Adverse Events
• Poly Pharmacy
Opportunities for Improvement
• Interview Techniques to Elicit Correct Information
• Electronic Systems - EMR, Reconciliation
• Workflow Process